Monday, June 13, 2011

Camps and the Summer of 2011

Since as far back as I can remember, the summer month have meant summer camp.  In 1975, as I finished the 4th grade, I began to attend a sleep-away camp.  I remember wanting to go because I had other friends who were going (they had either gone before or had older siblings who had attended).  I also remember that the camp owners visited our home and showed a slide show in our living room with pictures of a summer filled with exciting activities.  Camp Akiba in the Poconos became my summer home for the next 7 years.  Many of my fondest memories growing up, and some of my closest friendships, are from Akiba.  I would work as a counselor there for two summers during my college years.

When I began working for Temple Emanuel in 2003, one of the more appealing assignments was that I would be spending part of each summer on faculty at a Union for Reform Judaism summer camp.  From the summer of 2004 through the summer of 2009, I worked at Camp Coleman in Cleveland, GA.  For the past two summers (2010 and again this summer), my camp faculty position is closer to home at the 6 Points Sports Academy here in Greensboro, NC.  Many of our congregants attend Jewish summer camps such as Coleman, Camp Judaea, and 6 Points.  My son and daughter started coming with me to Coleman at early ages; 2011 is my daughter's eighth summer at Coleman.

One line that I love is: "in order to have a Jewish background, you have to have a Jewish playground."Study after study have shown the positive impact that Jewish camping has on Jewish identity.  I have often seen how camp supplements and compliments what we do at Temple.

This Wednesday I will be speaking to the staff of 6 Points.  During my time on faculty (July 5-17), I will be blogging about my experience at 6 Points.  Stay tuned...

Rabbi Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment