Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Some additional thoughts about September 11- 10 Years After

We were living in Gainesville, FL then. I was starting my fourth year as the Rabbi and Director of the Hillel Foundation at the University of Florida (UF Hillel). School was in full swing. High Holidays were right around the corner. We were preparing for a group of students to go to New York to participate in a rally in support of Israel. I had just dropped our 4 and 3 year-old kids off at school. There was news on the radio about a plane having crashed into one of the Twin Towers. Michal called and asked me if I had heard the news. As we were talking, the second plane hit and we knew that something was very wrong. She was going to check on the kids (they were safe and sound, better at school than anywhere else).  I headed to Hillel, calling the campus police as I drove and requesting that they check in on Hillel and also on a few other Jewish places on campus.

This past Sunday marked 10 years since the day of the attacks. At Temple, we had a very moving commemoration. We did not start Sunday School on September 11th since our high-volume, high-energy "pep rally" atmosphere would have been so out-of-line with the mood of the day. Instead, we had a learning session for our Middle School students and an Orientation for our Madrichim. 9-11 took place during their lifetimes and they were present for our community memorial.

Late Sunday evening, I was thinking about 10 years ago and sent an email to Keith Dvorchik, who was UF Hillel's Program Director during the years that I was there. We were close colleagues and partners.  Here's what I wrote to him:

Among all of the memories of that day and that time, I think of the work that we did and the way that we as a Jewish community, as leaders, and as people responded.

I remember how when we heard that students might have family that was affected, we responded by seeking them out.

I remember how we sought security, not just for ourselves but for other Jewish groups at UF (the fraternities and sororities, the Jewish studies dept.).

I remember how when we heard that there might be problems with people turning against the Islamic Center, how we asked that the police help them too.

I remember how we convened the Campus Ministry group at Hillel, opening our doors to our traditional allies (Catholics, liberal Protestants), but how we also welcomed for the first time representatives from the Muslim community.
I remember how we called for a peace march, starting at Hillel and marching along University Avenue to the Islamic Center, growing in size and strength as we passed each house of worship, singing Od Yavo Shalom Aleinu.

I remember the Yom Kippur service that year held at St. Augustine, how that was an expression of religious cooperation.
And I remember the many services and panels and programs that we held to forward the notion that, even at a time of attack, despair, and uncertainty, that it was important that we provided a space and voice for working together and peace.

I remember how the one Sukkah that was built on campus that year was a Sukkah of Peace, with space for students to leave their thoughts, reflections, and prayer

And I remember how we made our sacred pilgrimage to Lower Manhattan to pay our respects at Ground Zero that winter when we were at the Hillel conference.

We were listening ears, hugs, and shoulders to cry on for many. We brought messages of comfort when it was needed. We modeled responses that went beyond the legitimate shock and anger that many were feeling. We reflected hope. And, we upheld the values that we as Americans and Jews hold dear, especially our support for and travels to Israel."



Keith, who now serves as UF Hillel's Executive Director, replied to me adding more details as well as his own assesment of what we did:


"I was thinking about the same things yesterday. How we all sat in the lounge watching on tv as students came in, stunned.


How as we began that walk, it started to rain - almost like G-d crying.


How incredible that Shabbat was - the spirituality that was in the air - everybody's soul asking why.


Finishing that walk at the Islamic Center - standing in their parking lot, proud to be there for them as well as for students and ourselves.


I'll never forget that trip to Ground Zero. It was one of the most impactful moments of my life - still feeling the heat, smelling the smoke - 3 months after the buildings collapsed. I still feel stunned when I think about it."

This past Sunday was a very moving day.  I came home and watched some of the documentaries.  Like so many, I was wrapped in memories, good and bad, from those days and from the years that have passed.  I pray that what we did then, and what we did this past weekend, has provided comfort and peace.  May nation not lift up sword against nation, and may they cease to learn about war.

No comments:

Post a Comment